Monday, April 15, 2013

Sweet Greetings

On Mondays, blogging Compassion sponsors often post the letters they may have received during the week. I am linking up with Blogging from the Boonies- please check out Michelle's lovely blog and the wonderful Compassion-related resources she posts there.


I realized this week that this has probably been the fewest amount of letters I've received since I started sponsoring in 2010. I've only received a few letters this whole year. I was very excited (and surprised) to see that I got a letter from Victor this week! I say surprised because a.) the letter arrived in a plain white Compassion envelope, so I didn't know it was a letter until I opened it, and b.) the letter was just written on April 18! It took less than a month to get here! I have never had a letter arrive that quickly. 


Dear Jessi, 
How are you? I hope you're doing well with your family. I want to tell you that I have now started 1 new beginning, schooling in secondary school, and I hope that I will work hard to achieve my gold. Here in Kenya in some area are receiving rainfall and other areas are too hot, especially our area. 
In our country the last two weeks we elected our 4th president who will govern us and God was good to us, there was no corruption, people voted peacefully. What about your nation? I am praying for you so  God may heal you with his own hands, for you to continue working. 
I know you are also praying for me so God may guide me in my schooling. I like going to church every Sunday so that I can praise God because he has given me life without paying him, that is so great. There is no one who can do that. May God be with you. 
Good bye! 
Yours faithfully, 
Victor Otieno

There are so many cool things about this letter! I am so happy that Victor is starting secondary school. I will have to ask him if he wants to try to attend university. I think it's adorable how he says he will work hard to achieve his "gold." : ) It's so good to hear from someone in Kenya- someone I care about- that the elections went well. Also, that last bit about Victor liking church so much- I was THRILLED to read that! I am so glad to read that Victor has such a strong grasp of what it means to be a child of God. 

My cousin-in-law Josh (my cousin's husband) is visiting Kenya for the next few weeks for some photography projects. I can't wait to see the pictures he takes- it will be so great to learn more about where Victor and Mary live through photographs. I plan on asking him if I can share some of his pictures here with you, too! : )


1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so excited that you received a letter!!! What wonderful news! And how encouraging to hear that the elections in Kenya went peacefully. And I love his description of God giving life without payment :) How encouraging!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog!