Tuesday, November 27, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness- Louisville

I am thankful to live in the city of Louisville. There are a lot of stereotypes about Kentucky, where I live, but usually Louisville doesn’t represent a stereotypical picture of Kentucky (unless it’s Derby time, and then we all go along with it, for some reason.) Louisville is a pretty cool place to live. My city contains about a fourth of the state’s population. I like visiting the country (or more rural areas of the state), but I like being in Louisville, most of the time. We have lots of hospitals here. We have semi-decent weather (no hurricanes, not as many tornadoes as some areas of the country, no volcanoes that I know of, even though that’s geological and not meteorological.) Louisville has some very diverse neighborhoods. I have visited parts of the east end, where all the gigantic mansions are (and where Papa John himself lives.) We have an OK airport- better than any other airport in the state, I assume (are there other airports in the state?) We have 19 libraries, several colleges and universities, a wonderful zoo, a race track (not really my thing, but whatever), a baseball bat factory, an arms museum that has turned into a “history” museum (the name change made it sound less violent, but it’s still full of swords and guns and stuff), and a ton of other weird little places that are historically significant. Like the home of Joshua Speed, Abraham Lincoln’s BFF. And we have the Zachary Taylor National Cemetery, where a president is buried (three guesses as to which one.) We have the Derby museum, too, and I think we have some kind of Muhammad Ali thing around here somewhere, since this is where he’s from. We have a new arena and lots of flea markets. The state fair is held here, too, if you’re into that sort of thing. There are tons of awesome restaurants and interesting stores here, too. I haven’t eaten at all of them (or even half of them), but I have a list of ones I’d like to visit. I have a feeling if I lived in one of the more rural areas of the state, I wouldn’t have access to those sorts of things.

So I am thankful that I live in Louisville, even if our allergies are really bad because we live in the Ohio valley, and even though people who live here will literally beat each other up if the NCAA tournament conditions are right, and even though for some reason everyone assumes we are missing lots of teeth and don’t wear shoes. That’s only true about some cities. Anyway, I’m thankful that if I have to live in Kentucky, I live here in Louisville, and I’m thankful for all the things my city has to offer. 



Here is the city from the river. 



Churchill Downs



The Louisville Science Center



The Louisville Slugger Museum



A random horse in a field.



My rhino buddy at the zoo


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog!