Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 Days of Thankfulness- Brandon

I'm thankful for my husband every day- this just happens to be the day I'm writing about it!

I have known Brandon for a long time. When I was in 9th grade, we shared a homeroom. Brandon never talked. I thought this was funny. Everyone did. Not talking didn't take away from Brandon's social standing, though. Everyone liked him. They thought he was funny. Even though he never talked. He had a more active social life than I did, even after everyone stopped hating me sometime around the end of 10th grade. We didn't really spend much time together, other than sharing an elective here and there, and sitting across from each other in the limo on the way to Junior/Senior Banquet (my alma mater's version of prom.) A series of well-timed events led to us getting in touch after his graduation in 2005.

I had this friend that I used to spend a lot of time with in high school. When this friend graduated, and I still had a year to go, this "friend" (now referred to with quotation marks because this person was a really awful "friend") cut off contact with me completely. I just really wasn't interested in being a part of this "friend's" new lifestyle. That was a pretty sad summer. One day, when school started back up again, I sent an email to a very kind friend from the same graduating class, and somewhere in the conversation we ended up discussing the folks she kept in contact with after graduation. One of those people was Brandon- or B Jones, as everyone calls him. Seriously, if we run into someone from high school, they will yell "B JONES!" and shake his hand, and about half the time there will be a nod in my direction. But I digress. I asked for his email address because I thought it would be funny to email this person who never ever talked...and he emailed me back. And we sent lots and lots of emails, and in the weird, passive-aggressive way that many high schoolers manage to form relationships, we figured out that we liked each other and would like to go out together and probably get married (side note: what is the point of dating if you don't like the person enough to possibly stay with them long-term? Get to know them, THEN go out. Serial daters confuse me.) Brandon wanted to wait until he was finished with the spring semester of his freshman year of college before he officially asked me on a date, though, because he was pretty bogged down with school and I still had a few months to finish up my high school career. But he came to the homecoming game to sit with me, and came by my parents' house before my friends and I left for Banquet that spring (he didn't want to go) and came to my performance in Pygmalion, too. Regular boyfriend stuff. It was nice.

We were dating for about a year when Brandon proposed, and we got married about two and a half years later, on January 2, 2010.

I am so thankful for Brandon. He is funny and he makes me laugh. We are both tremendous nerds- we love Star Wars and Batman and superhero movies. We love watching movies together (we are working our way through this book we got from the library called "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die", in addition to watching movies we want to see or ones that look interesting from the descriptions on the library website.) We both like to read, and our house is full of books on multiple bookcases! We love animals and love to go to the zoo together. We believe in the same things and have similar outlooks on life. He works so hard at his job so we can pay the bills. I am thankful for all his hard work. I am thankful for his friendship, and I'm thankful that he's my husband, and I'm thankful that I get to spend the rest of my life with him!



At my cousin's wedding in 2007



On my grandparents' Ohio River anniversary cruise



At my dad's company picnic thing at the zoo



At Brandon's cousin's wedding in 2009



Our wedding day



PDA! Please divert your eyes.



On our honeymoon at Disney World!




Earlier this year, at the zoo. It was hot and bright. My funny faces are not amusing him. 

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting on the blog!