Friday, December 27, 2013

Sunshine Award

Over a week ago I won a "Sunshine Award" (thanks, Shelley!) I'm sorry I'm just now getting around to posting about it! I'm supposed to share 10 things about myself, and then nominate 10 others for the award so they can do the same.



So, here are 10 things about me:


  1. I collect walruses. It started in high school with a talking plush walrus I took to school....he now resides with my best friend. If I find a walrus while I'm out shopping, I always buy two- one for me, and one for Kelli. Walruses aren't really a popular animal, so it's always exciting to get a new one. For Christmas I got three new walruses, plus walrus pajama pants. This is basically like hitting the jackpot, to get that many new walruses in one week. 
  2. I love to cook and bake. I used to make something new and bring it to every Bible study meeting, but I had to stop earlier this year when I had my surgery. It's hard to bake if you can't use the oven, get in your cabinets, or access most of the contents of your fridge because of restrictions. Now that my restrictions are lifted, I haven't really gotten back into it, for a couple of reasons. I miss it, though. 
  3. Generally, I don't care for new things. I tend to watch the same television shows and movies over and over again. 
  4. Speaking of television, I have watched all the episodes of "House" so many times that I'm pretty confident I could pretend to be a doctor in a hospital for at least a few hours before being found out. 
  5. I love to read. My mom loves to read. I got it from her. I read lots of non-fiction, children's and teen books. I only read adult fiction if I have a special interest in the topic. Some of my favorite authors are Louise Rennison, Rick Riordan, Sarah Dessen, and Jodi Picoult (adult fiction that's actually good!) I would throw JK Rowling in there because of my fierce love for Harry Potter, but I didn't like "Casual  Vacancy" and thought her secret mystery book was just ok. 
  6. When I was a child, I was dumb enough to repeatedly get beets from salad bars at restaurants, thinking they were jellied cranberry sauce. And every single time, I was disgusted because beets are gross. Yet I kept getting them, hoping that "this time, they'll be cranberry sauce." Why would cranberry sauce be at a salad bar, anyway?
  7. I think sharing lists of what you got for Christmas is a bit silly, and can seem like bragging, but I would just like to add that I was quite thrilled to get a black and pink Hello Kitty passport cover for Christmas. Hello Kitty is the only cat I like. 
  8. I would rather have tuberculosis or some other equally horrible disease than throw up. Sorry if that's gross, but I just flipped over to facebook for a moment and saw yet another post about this stomach virus that is going around. My brother in law was sick at Christmas and as soon as I heard what kind of sick he was, I started saying "NOPE! NOPE! NOPE!" and pulled my shirt over my face to shield me from germs. 
  9. I have been a patron of the library where I work since I was about 5 or 6 years old. I started working there when I was 17, and have been there ever since. 
  10. One time I got to pet a dolphin. It felt like a very thick-skinned, wet balloon. 
Now, let's see if I can come up with 10 blogs. Most of the blogs I read were already featured in other posts about this award, so I will have to some serious thinking here!

  1. Craftivity Designs. This blog is run by my friends Lora and Erica. I used to go to church with them (and I went to school with Lora's brother!) They started their own blog and shop. They are both very crafty and I love seeing their posts! Lora's particularly great about home decor and refurbishing things (she has even given me a few pointers) and Erica has a real talent for party planning and making cute printables!
  2. Once Upon a (Story) Time. My friend Jackie started a blog after we had to make one (or a fake one) for work. She is a children's librarian and posts storytime ideas and resources here. She just had a baby a few months ago, so posts haven't been as frequent, but if you teach little kids, you might want to check out her blog. She has some great ideas!
  3. Joy in Japan. My sweet friend Amanda is currently living in Japan, teaching English. Amanda had been trying to get to Japan for about as long as I have known her, and last year she finally made it! 
  4. For This Day. I saw Heidi write a post about blogging on one of the advocate facebook pages. She was blogging about her impending trip to Tanzania. I had no idea when I started following her blog that I'd be going on that trip, too!
  5. The Journey. Katie Davis has no idea who I am, or that I follow her blog, but she is probably the biggest inspiration to my life, and everyone should read her story. If you haven't read her blog before, do yourself a favor and check it out. 
  6. Chairein: Joy to You. My friend Briana and her husband are currently adopting from Ethiopia. 

Aaaaand now I'm folding. I can't think of/find any more blogs I regularly read that haven't already been nominated for this little award. I pretty much just read the same few blogs from Compassion sponsors! : ) I guess I need to branch out a little. The fun thing about blog awards is that it does give you a chance to read other people's blogs!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Jessi, I had such a great time getting to know some random things about you. I love your blog, and am so grateful for all that you share. You're such a blessing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so hard to find new blogs, isn't it? I think a lot of us read each other's. I loved learning new things about you!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog!