Monday, March 4, 2013

Sweet Greetings

On Mondays, blogging Compassion sponsors often post the letters they may have received during the week. I am linking up with Blogging from the Boonies- please check out Michelle's lovely blog and the wonderful Compassion-related resources she posts there.



This week was a slow letter week- we got one letter from Mary in Kenya. This letter was actually another "first letter", but it was originally addressed to the foundation that provides her financial sponsorship- hence the delay. It was still nice to hear from her, though!




I greet you in the name of our provider. I hope you are fine. My name is Mary. Our family is composed of three children and I am now 17 years old. I live in a place called Waithaka. My school is called Mwenda-Andu Secondary School and I am now in form 3.
I like singing and at school. I usually participate in music festival. I also like socializing and making new friends. Our country is fine and has enough peace. I love my country Kenya. It is green and also full of wild animals. 
I usually go to Redeem Gospel Church. My best Bible is 1 Timothy 6: 12. It says Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but be an example for the believers in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity. I also appreciate to have you as my sponsor. 
I would like you to pray for my family, country, and I. I would also like youo to pray for me so that I can use my talent in God's will time. 

Mary

Today is Election Day in Kenya, where Mary and Victor live. In 2007 and 2008, more than a thousand people were killed in election-related violence. So far the international news is reporting between 12 and 19 people dead. I was so encouraged when I read that Mary's country "has enough peace"- Kenya is generally regarded as the most stable country in Africa. But apparently things get pretty crazy around election time. I'm spending the day praying for Mary and Victor and their families, and the rest of Kenya, as well. I pray that as little violence occurs as possible, and I am praying for all the Compassion children there- and their families. Will you join me?

2 comments:

  1. what an awesome letter! :) She sounds like a sweet, talkative girl. I hope you get to know her well!

    Joining you in praying for the people in Kenya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been praying for Kenya today also. I am glad that she thinks that her country has enough peace! I hope today it has enough. I love that her prayer request that she uses her talent in God's will! I always love first letters--although I hope that you get a 2nd soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog!