Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm going to learn Indonesian.

I got a letter from my sponsor child this week! It was very exciting. Tasya's aunt wrote the letter because Tasya is still not very good at writing (she's only 8- I guess they want the letters to be very legible and clear), which is fine with me. The letter was very sweet. In it, her Tante (aunt) said that her family rejoiced when they learned I was to sponsor Tasya. She told me that Tasya's parents get up very early to do work as farmers. It's hard work, but they know that Jesus has blessed them with their work. She also said that Jesus is a "good father" because he let Tasya and I meet through letters. It was so sweet. I'm so happy that I made the decision to sponsor a child through compassion. I only wish I had the resources to sponsor more kids!
I was on Compassion's website the other day, browsing through the kids that need a sponsor. I searched "girl", and apparently there are more than 200 girls waiting to be sponsored. When I searched "boy", however, I was shocked and saddened to see that more than 1,100 boys are without a sponsor right now. I feel like sending letters to my friends, begging "can you come up with $38 a month to help a child in need?" So what if it means you have to cut back on buying dumb things at the grocery, or aren't able to go to the movies as often as you'd like. I don't have extra money to throw around. But I make it work. I just feel so bad that there's so many kids who need help. Maybe in another year or so Brandon and I will be able to take on another sponsorship. Until then, is there anything you can do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog!