Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Kindness, Week Seven

My kindness project continues to chug along quite nicely! I'm telling you, it's genuinely fun to think of ways to be nice. Sometimes it is a bit tricky finding things I can do while I'm stuck at home, but it really is fun. I like making people happy, and I like helping and trying to make a difference. Being kind puts me in a better mood (at least, around the time the act of kindness is being...enacted, I guess), and I like making people smile. : ) Give it a try this week- it's fun!

February 12- Took Valentines to my Bible study group. Everyone got a Hello Kitty Valentine with a matching pencil (when did card companies start making Valentines come with bonus gifts? I don't remember stuff like that when I was a kid!) It was fun to do something I enjoyed so much as a little kid, and also, everyone can use their pencils to do their Bible study work!

February 13- Shared the info for a little boy in need of a Compassion sponsor. Something (rather, someone, aka God) moved me to take a look at the list of waiting kids that day, and I found a little boy named Ilas in Burkina Faso whose birthday was that day. He turned 5 years old. Between 15-20% of children in Burkina Faso don't live to the age of 5. I shared his info with my friends, asking them to give him the great birthday gift of sponsorship. Ilas got a sponsor that day, which is great!

February 14- Took our massive wad of plastic grocery bags to be recycled. Sometimes an act of kindness can mean being kind to our planet! This one is so easy-  most grocery stores actually have bins near their doors where you can drop off your plastic bags. We have two grocery stores in our neighborhood that offer this service. Brandon dropped me off at the door at Walmart (I was pretty achy) and he brought the bags inside and tossed them in the bin.

February 15- Signed a petition to the FDA about genetically modified food. Again, acts of kindness don't always have to directly involve another individual. The writers of this petition were specifically talking about "frankenfish", freaky genetically altered salmon, which are a bad idea all around. They set a goal of 1 million signatures, and when I signed, they were at about 940,000. I bet they are really close to reaching their goal!

February 16- Left coupons at the bookstore. My local (amazing) used bookstore had a coupon last week for 20% off your entire purchase. I printed some extra copies and gave them to my mom and my brother, who used theirs. I also left one coupon in the children's section of the bookstore, and then told the sales clerk that she could apply the coupon to the purchase of the next customer who didn't have one (I didn't need the coupon back, so why not let someone else use it?)

February 17- Purchased a magazine subscription for a friend. This was another fun, free act of kindness. I drink a lot of Sprite because of my tummy troubles, and the Coke brand has a neat program called My Coke Rewards. You get codes on all Coke products, create an account at the website, and then redeem the points you get from the codes for prizes. I'm sitting on a healthy stash of points right now, and one of the few things I find in their rewards catalog that's actually worthwhile is magazine subscriptions. I posted a status on facebook offering a subscription to one of these magazines to the first two people who asked for it. Only one friend responded, so I ordered him a subscription. I think I'll save my points and use them to surprise someone else later on. : )

February 18- "Tipped" my friend when she brought me lunch. I finally got together with my best friend this week- I haven't seen her since our post-Christmas Lord of the Rings marathon, so she came over on Monday and brought lunch and we watched a few movies together. I gave her a few extra bucks for bringing me lunch, since it was so nice of her. I was really grateful, too, because I get tired of eating peanut butter sandwiches while I'm home alone! We enjoyed our meal of chicken tenders and cheese fries, and watched The Muppets and The Amazing Spider-Man together.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this next week brings!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog!