Monday, January 7, 2013

Kindness, Week One

As I said in an earlier post, one of my resolutions for the new year is to do one kind thing each day. I was inspired in part by the 26 Acts of Kindness campaign, which came about to honor the victims of the school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. I thought it sounded like a good idea, and decided to carry it into the new year and make it a resolution.

In my search for ideas for acts of kindness, I came across a blog a guy wrote last year, where he blogged about an act of kindness he performed each day. I would like to share my kindness ideas with you- not to brag, but to encourage you to share kindness with others, and to show you how simple acts of kindness can be. I don't think I can keep up with blogging every day, though, so I think I will write a post once a week.

Here, in all their humble glory, are the acts of kindness from the first week of the new year:

January 1: I made a tiny monetary donation to Amazima Ministries, because Katie Davis is my hero. I thought this would be a good way to start off the new year!

January 2: I wrote a thank you note to my Mammaw for fixing us fried oysters for New Year's Day. They were so good. I ate way too many.

January 3: I brought my friend a small scented candle. I like to get her candles, and if I find a yummy-smelling one that's inexpensive, I usually get it to put up as a surprise for her.

January 4: I bought my coworker a sweet tea to go with her lunch.

January 5: I registered with freerice.com and answered trivia questions to earn food for needy people around the world. Ad sponsors on the website pay for the rice, which goes to hungry people. It's insanely easy and you can answer questions for a few seconds, or a few hours.

January 6: From my sickbed, I wrote Valentine's Day cards for all my Compassion kids, plus birthday cards for the ones that have birthdays coming up, and also labeled sticker sheets and post cards for each of them. It took an hour and a half, what with seven kids to write to!

January 7: I registered with wegivebooks.org, an organization that allows you to read children's books online (at various age levels.) For every book you read, a book will be donated to children who don't have books! What a fun way to support literacy in children. This is a fun and simple activity that you could do by yourself, or with your kids.


Being kind is pretty easy. And a lot of times, it doesn't cost anything. Have you performed an act of kindness recently?


1 comment:

  1. The other day a woman in front of us at costumer service bought a toy for a young boy that he was begging his mom for. She was doing acts of kindness, I can't remember if it was weekly or monthly, but it was sweet and a nice example to the long line behind her. It wasn't a cheapy toy either, I'm guessing $20 range. Made that families day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog!