Monday, June 15, 2015

Sweet Greetings from Kenya and Honduras

Happy Mail Call Monday!


Letters feel like they have been very few and far between lately. I actually know that several are on their way (for more than one of our kids, it's been 5-6 months since we've heard from them) so I emailed to check up on them. It's discouraging to check the mailbox each day and not see any letters when I'm legitimately expecting about 12! 

The first letter of the week came from precious Mary in Kenya. 


Mary's letters always make me feel good, no matter what I might be going through. She wrote a response to my letter about the meaning of names, telling me that she's named after her "grandi" and because Mary is the mother of Jesus. She said that her name means "pure in heart, lovely, and righteous." Mary said that she passed her exams and she is hoping to study to be a party planner, basically, working in catering and also singing for people's parties. I feel like this is the perfect career for her, as she is so sociable and hospitable (she also said she likes her village, Waithaka, because the people like socializing!) She also shared that she has been sick but she is thankful that she's regaining her health, and she signed her letter, "I love you, my big sis Jessi, Yours lovely, Mary." 

We also got another letter from Sandier in Honduras, about a month after his last letter!

Now that I think about it, I realize that the form letter I received from Sandier (about his project) was the same form letter we got last month. However, the rest of the letter, outside the form, was new and different information written by his regular tutor Iris. Sandier likes visiting the project two days a week, and sometimes they get to go on field trips (which is one of his favorite parts.) He said the thing he likes about the project workers is that they love him, and he usually eats soup, milk and fruits while he's there. Sandier's letter shared a lot about food, it seemed- he told me that at Christmas, his family eats sandwiches and they dance. They also have Christmas crackers and sometimes watch fireworks. At the project's Christmas celebration, they had a special lunch, cake, and presents for each of the kids. I also learned that Sandier's sister Hayk is 9 years old, and he said that the primary dangerous animals in Honduras (in response to a letter about alligators in Florida) are poisonous snakes and big black spiders! He also said that weddings in Honduras are beautiful and they eat a lot at the party. He said that he has been to the beach and he really likes seeing how big the ocean is, the nice breeze, and all the fish- Sandier says that there are so many fish, they can be put in soup, fried, steamed, put into empanadas, and many other cooking methods. Lastly, he said that he'd like us to keep praying for his grandmother, and to pray that his mom will ask Jesus into her heart. 






1 comment:

  1. I love all Sandier's comments about food! Empanadas with fish sound amazing.... And I love how Mary shared how she was named! I also think Mary would be a great party planner!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on the blog!