Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kindness, Week Eighteen

Here are this week's acts of kindness!

April 30- Played chauffer. I had this day off, so I headed over to my (still recovering) mom's house, picked her up, and drove her around town so she could run some errands. Then she was really, really tired. After resting for several hours, I drove her to Bible study that night.

May 1- Paid extra attention. As I said in a post last week, my favorite patron at the library came in last week, and I saw him for the first time since I had my surgery. To show him how happy I was to see him again, I listened to everything he had to say, even though it was kind of a lot and even though I was in the middle of working on something for work that required extra concentration on my part (i.e. math.) Judging by his gigantic smile, I am guessing that the fact that I put my work away and gave him my full attention made him really happy. : )

May 2- Sent encouragement to a missionary. I can't imagine how hard it is for missionaries to be so far away from home, even on the best of days. My friend Amanda is currently serving a two year commitment in Japan teaching English, and her mom told me that she is particularly stressed right now because one of the teachers decided not to finish out his commitment, which is putting a lot of strain on the five remaining teachers. I made her a card telling her that we are all praying for her, and that I miss her lots!

May 3- Surprised a coworker. I bought some new nail polish about a week ago and my coworker really liked it (even though I wasn't completely sold on it at first!) On this morning, I had to go to the store where I bought the polish to pick something up, and I saw there was one bottle left- so I bought it for my coworker as a surprise.

May 4- Shared the (birthday) wealth. One of my favorite things about this time of year is that I get lots of coupons in my junk email for birthday treats! I had hoped to spend time at home on this day, getting my house cleaned up and taking care of some things, but my mom was super stressed out and I got really worried about her. So I told her I would pick up lunch and come over and watch funny stuff with her for the day. I used my generous coupon from one of my favorite restaurants (which my coworkers and I frequently get at work) to get lunch for my mom on this day. I hope it cheered her up at least a little bit.

May 5- Told someone how much I look up to them. I had the opportunity on this day to tell a friend that I really admire the way she is living her life, and I look up to her a great deal. If you have someone like this in your life, be sure to tell them! Everyone deserves to know if they are making a difference in someone's life!

May 6- Extended my sympathies. An acquaintance of mine recently lost her grandfather unexpectedly. I never met him, and I rarely see her, but I wanted her to know I was thinking about her, so I sent her a card.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on the blog!